November 13, 2015
Almost every oral health issue starts with plaque or tartar buildup. More than 50% of US adults experience some level of gum disease which is the number one cause of tooth loss, and periodontal disease occurs due to soft tissue irritation caused by plaque and tartar build up. Tooth decay causes cavities, root canal infection, and tooth loss, and begins when acidic plaque and tartar breakdown tooth enamel. Regular preventive dental care from D’Amico & Mauck, DDS in Aurora and thorough at-home oral hygiene are the first lines of defense against these destructive bacteria.
Comments Off on The Difference between Plaque & Tartar from the Dentist Aurora Families Trust
June 29, 2015
If you dedicate countless hours every week driving your kids to practices, meetings, and to hang out with friends, you probably don’t have a lot of spare time. In Aurora, CO, Dr.s Nicholas D’Amico and Matt Mauck can help you save some drive time by caring for the oral health of your entire family. Except for a few extraordinary cases, children don’t need to see a pediatric dentist. Your family dentists Dr.s D’Amico and Mauck are well equipped to meet the dental care needs of your whole family. We can even schedule a block of time in advance for your whole family to receive their checkups and cleanings. Whether you’re interested in pediatric or geriatric dental care, call D’Amico & Mauck to schedule an appointment today. (more…)
Comments Off on A Fantastic Aurora Family Dentist
July 13, 2014
Every day, you brush your teeth to keep your smile healthy and looking its best. You know it’s an important part of your day and it’s been a consistent habit for years. How often, though, do you actually take the time to really consider your toothbrush? At D’Amico & Mauck, DDS in Aurora, CO, Dr. Nicholas D’Amico and Dr. Matt Mauck help patients achieve their healthiest, most beautiful smiles through a variety of general dentistry services, including patient education. Part of that education involves proper home care and explaining the importance of maintaining your toothbrush.
Taking Care of the Brush that Cares for Your Smile
Our doctors and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend brushing your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste to prevent the buildup of plaque, a sticky substance that contains decay-causing bacteria. The CDC also suggests the following toothbrush care techniques to keep your smile safe from cavities, bad breath, and more.
- Never share your toothbrush, even with a spouse or family member. This may lead to a variety of health problems, including the spread of infection.
- After each use, rinse your brush with tap water to remove any remaining debris and toothpaste. Store it upright and allow it to dry; avoid closeable travel toothbrush holders that keep the bristles from drying. This can lead to the growth of bacteria.
- Replace your toothbrush approximately every three months, or even sooner if the bristles show obvious signs of wear and tear. The American Dental Association (ADA) bases this recommendation on the effectiveness of the brush after regular use rather than the potential for bacterial contamination.
- It is not necessary to soak your toothbrush in any kind of specialized disinfectant or mouthwash unless otherwise directed by your dentist. In fact, this practice may result in unintentional cross-contamination if multiple brushes are soaked in the same solution.
Other Important Oral Health Basics
In addition to brushing and flossing at home, it is vital that you and your family visit our office for routine exams and thorough cleanings about once every six months. Contact our office in Aurora, CO today to schedule your visit with Drs. D’Amico and Mauck and our friendly team. We look forward to seeing and serving your beautiful smile! Our state-of-the-art dental practice also happily serves patients from the surrounding areas, including Denver, Parker, Englewood, Centennial, and beyond.
Comments Off on Proper Toothbrush Care: More Important Than You May Think
January 29, 2013
When it comes to dental health, you’re probably used to hearing all about services that can help restore and revitalize your teeth, from dental implants to teeth whitening to full-mouth reconstruction. But what about the step that should come before those procedures and surgeries? We’re talking about prevention, a crucial part of everyday dental care. Prevention is the cornerstone of general dentistry, and Dr. Amico and Dr. Mauck believe strongly in its practice. After all, the most effective way to fix a problem isn’t with drills, fillings, and inconvenient appointments in the middle of the day – it’s to keep it from ever becoming a problem in the first place! Here at D’Amico and Mauck, DDS in Aurora, CO, our team is committed to providing you with comfortable and effective preventive service that will help you save both your happiness and your wallet. Here are just some of the general dentistry services we can offer you:
- Extensive dental checkups and cleanings, which will help us detect potential problems early on, as well as provide us with an opportunity to give you valuable advice regarding your brushing and flossing habits.
- Gum disease is a destructive disease, and one that can be effectively treated and controlled if caught in time. If Dr. Amico or Dr. Mauck notice signs of gum disease, they can prescribe expert periodontal therapy that will help you avoid further complications.
- If you experience constant head and neck pain, you might be suffering from bruxism (teeth grinding). We can create a custom intraoral device for you, such as a nightguard, to relieve the symptoms.
- Do you or one of your children participate often in sports? From football to bicycling to gymnastics, a whole gauntlet of sports carries with it the potential for mouth and teeth injuries. We can provide a custom-fit mouthguard for them that will be sure to protect their smile from unexpected harm.
Don’t doom your teeth by letting small issues become big ones – our team will be happy to provide you with a wide range of general dentistry services, all meant to keep you safe and smiling. Call our office in Aurora today to schedule your consultation with either Dr. D’Amico or Dr. Mauck. Our office serves patients from the greater Denver area as well, including Centennial, Englewood, and Parker.
Comments Off on Keep Your Teeth Safe and Smiling with General Dentistry
October 5, 2012
Now that we’re into October, fall is in full swing. That means cooler weather, fall colors, and shorter days. It also means the holidays are almost here. In fact, the first major one of the holiday season, Halloween, is just weeks away. And along with the holiday season come certain things you won’t want to miss: holiday parties and holiday treats.
But when you have questions about how your smile is doing, it can be harder to enjoy either of these to the fullest. You might feel self-conscious instead, worried that you have gum disease or a cavity that needs to be treated. Or you might just be self-conscious about how your smile looks.
During a regular checkup and cleaning with D’Amico & Mauck, DDS your doctor can thoroughly assess your oral health to help you put your anxieties to rest. Not only can Dr. Nicholas D’Amico or Dr. Matt Mauck tell you if your smile needs help, they can also recommend a cosmetic dentistry treatment to help you create a more dazzling smile. All so you can face the upcoming holiday season with a greater sense of confidence.
What’s more, regular exams and cleanings can help you support your overall health. In recent medical studies, gum disease has been connected with a wide range of health problems including heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and even pregnancy complications.
Has it been more than six months since your last checkup and cleaning at D’Amico & Mauck, DDS in Aurora? If you live in Denver, Centennial, Englewood, Parker or beyond, call us today to reserve your next appointment. A healthy smile is key to enjoying a healthy life.
Comments Off on Have You Scheduled Your October Checkup with D’Amico & Mauck, DDS?